Russian President Vladimir Putin has dismissed a ceasefire ultimatum issued by European leaders but has offered to initiate direct negotiations with Ukraine later this week.
In a coordinated move, the leaders of the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Poland demanded that Putin agree to an unconditional 30-day ceasefire by Monday. Failure to do so, they warned, would result in expanded sanctions and increased military support for Ukraine.
At a joint press conference in Kyiv, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer said: “All of us here, together with the United States, are calling Putin out. If he’s serious about peace, he has a chance to show it now.” Starmer stressed that the group rejected Putin’s preconditions for a ceasefire, stating that “if he turns his back on peace, we will respond — ramping up sanctions and increasing military aid to pressure Russia back to the table.”
Starmer was joined in Kyiv by French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, both of whom arrived on the same train, while Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk arrived separately. The delegation met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy for high-level talks in the capital. It marked Macron’s first visit to Kyiv since mid-2022 and Merz’s first since taking office.
Ukraine’s Deputy Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha confirmed that Kyiv and its allies are prepared to implement a full, unconditional 30-day ceasefire across land, air, and sea starting Monday, contingent on Russian cooperation and effective international monitoring.
The Kremlin responded early Sunday morning, with Putin rejecting the ceasefire ultimatum during a late-night press briefing. However, he expressed willingness to begin direct negotiations with Ukraine in Istanbul as early as Thursday. “We do not rule out that during these negotiations, we may reach agreements on new ceasefires,” he said.
President Macron responded to Putin’s proposal by calling it “a first step, but not enough,” emphasizing that an unconditional ceasefire must come before negotiations. “Putin is looking for a way out, but he still wants to buy time,” he said.
European leaders, along with Kyiv, have repeatedly insisted that Russia must agree to a complete halt in hostilities before any formal talks begin. Putin departed the briefing without taking questions, despite journalists reportedly waiting up to seven hours.
There has been no immediate readout from the White House regarding the leaders’ joint call with President Trump. While Trump has publicly supported a ceasefire as a potential first step toward peace, the U.S. administration remains cautious, particularly as Russia has insisted that any ceasefire must be accompanied by a halt in Western arms supplies to Ukraine.
In a sign of Moscow’s stance, former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev posted a provocative message on social media criticizing the European leaders’ Kyiv visit, using inflammatory language to dismiss their efforts.
Meanwhile, Russia unilaterally declared a limited three-day ceasefire beginning on May 8, coinciding with Victory Day celebrations in Moscow. Ukrainian officials described the move as an attempt to prevent drone attacks during the commemorations. Although fighting has continued along the front lines, Russia has reportedly refrained from large-scale missile and drone strikes during the period.
Addressing the symbolic nature of the temporary truce, Starmer said, “Putin didn’t need conditions for a ceasefire to hold a parade — he doesn’t need them now. Ukraine has repeatedly shown a willingness to engage, while Putin has repeatedly refused.”
Starmer also invoked lessons from World War II, stating, “There is no glory in aggression and conquest. True honor lies in defending your people and securing peace.”
President Macron echoed that sentiment, warning that the fundamental principles of European and international order are at stake in the war.
Earlier on Saturday, the four European leaders, accompanied by President Zelenskyy and First Lady Olena Zelenska, visited Kyiv’s Maidan Square, where they honored victims of the war. Thousands of flags have been planted in remembrance of those who have died since Russia’s invasion began.
Following the commemorations, the leaders held a virtual meeting with other international partners to discuss the development of a proposed “air, land, maritime, and regeneration force” as part of broader peace efforts.
Trump has yet to issue a formal statement on his call with the European leaders but told reporters Friday that his message to both sides was simple: “Get this stupid war finished.”
Though the Trump administration has taken a more cautious approach toward supporting Kyiv, recent developments — including a positive meeting between Trump and Zelenskyy at the Vatican — suggest a possible shift. Even Vice President JD Vance, a known skeptic of U.S. aid to Ukraine, recently criticized Russia’s current demands, calling them excessive.
The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv issued a public alert Friday night, citing intelligence that suggested a possible major air attack in the coming days. The warning coincided with Russia’s planned closure of airspace over its Kapustin Yar missile testing range, raising concerns over potential ballistic missile launches.

0 Comments