In a significant shift in U.S. trade policy, President Donald Trump signed an executive order and a presidential proclamation on Tuesday aimed at easing the burden of auto tariffs on domestic car manufacturers. The move, announced during a campaign rally in Michigan commemorating the first 100 days of Trump’s second term, marks the latest in a series of rapid changes to the administration's tariff policies, which have left many businesses scrambling for clarity.
Tariff Structure: What’s Changing?
The 25% tariff on imported vehicles will remain in place, and, as previously announced, a new 25% tariff on imported auto parts is set to take effect this weekend. However, the new orders introduce critical provisions that could provide temporary relief for U.S.-based automakers.
The executive order includes a reimbursement mechanism for domestic automakers importing car parts that are now subject to the 25% tariff. Under this provision:
-
Automakers will be eligible for a reimbursement of up to 3.75% of the value of domestically produced vehicles for the first year.
-
This cap will reduce to 2.5% in the second year.
-
The reimbursement program will be phased out entirely after that.
President Trump positioned the move as a temporary reprieve for the U.S. auto industry, giving it time to expand domestic manufacturing capacity. “They took in parts from all over the world,” Trump said at the Michigan rally. “I don’t want that. I want them to make their parts here.”
Simplifying Tariff Impact
Another key element of the order is a provision that simplifies how tariffs are applied to auto manufacturers. Companies will now be subject only to the highest applicable tariff on imported items—meaning a car part will be charged a 25% tariff, but will not face additional levies on the steel or aluminum it contains. This approach is expected to reduce compounding costs for manufacturers.
Additionally, cars composed of 85% parts that are both domestically produced and compliant with the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) will be exempt from tariffs entirely, offering further incentives for reshoring supply chains.
Industry Reaction: Praise with Caution
The auto industry, which has voiced growing concerns over the escalating cost of tariffs, largely welcomed the president’s softened stance.
“We’re grateful to President Trump for his support of the U.S. automotive industry and the millions of Americans who depend on us,” said Mary Barra, CEO of General Motors.
GM, however, also announced that it is withdrawing its 2025 profit guidance, citing the uncertain future impact of tariffs. “We believe the future impact of tariffs could be significant,” said CFO Paul Jacobson, indicating that the company is reassessing its financial outlook ahead of its first-quarter earnings release, which has been delayed by two days.
Shares of GM fell slightly on Tuesday, closing down over 0.6%, while other automakers—Ford, Toyota, Stellantis, and Honda—saw modest gains on the news. Both Ford and Stellantis issued public statements thanking President Trump for the relief measures.
“Ford welcomes and appreciates these decisions… which will help mitigate the impact of tariffs on automakers, suppliers and consumers,” the company said.
Behind the Scenes: CEO Influence and Policy Flexibility
According to White House officials, the shift in policy was heavily influenced by direct outreach from auto industry executives. Senior officials from the Commerce Department acknowledged that multiple automaker CEOs reached out to the president, warning that the steep tariffs would stifle domestic production and job growth.
Trump administration insiders emphasized the importance of maintaining flexibility in tariff policy to support American workers and encourage domestic manufacturing.
“It’s all about getting workers back to work in the places where we make things in America,” said Kevin Hassett, Director of the National Economic Council.
A Strategic Pause or a Warning Shot?
Despite the immediate relief, President Trump made it clear that this is a temporary solution and not a retreat from his broader protectionist agenda.
“We gave them a little time before we slaughter them if they don’t do this,” Trump said, underscoring his intention to pressure automakers to bring production back to U.S. soil permanently.
Looking Ahead
While automakers have welcomed the short-term relief, the industry remains cautious. With shifting timelines, evolving trade policies, and a highly politicized environment, car manufacturers must balance immediate cost savings with long-term strategic investments in U.S.-based production.
As quarterly earnings roll out this week from major automakers, industry stakeholders and investors alike will be watching closely to gauge the broader implications of Trump’s latest tariff strategy.

0 Comments